Technology and Innovation Management (TIM)
Since its inauguration in 1990, the Technology and Innovation Management Group at RWTH Aachen University (RWTH-TIM) has developed into a leading European institution in the field of innovation, technology, business model development and customer-centric value creation. Today, as a large interdisciplinary team under the leadership of Prof. Frank Piller, we teach and research in close cooperation with the RWTH engineering schools as well as with the humanities and social sciences. Our close cooperation with the other research groups at the Research Area TIME allows us to cover a broad spectrum of methods and topics.
Thematic priorities of our current work are …
- the transformation of established organizations in the face of disruptive technological innovation (such as Industry 4.0, IIoT, Internet of Production),
- the systematic development of new business models (Business Model Innovation),
- the integration of external actors in the innovation process (open innovation and interactive value creation)
- the design of customer-centric value chains as well as the management of high-variety and customized product programs (Customer Co-Creation, Mass Customization, Smart Products)
- the promotion of corporate sustainability through technological innovations as well as research on societal challenges by new technologies (Responsible Innovation).
Our research is usually part of major framework programs by the European Union, the BMBF or BMWI and is carried out in form of interdisciplinary collaborative projects with other academic research partners and the corporate partners.
In the area of basic research, the DFG and the Excellence Initiative of the German Federal Government are supporting our projects, e.g. in the RWTH Excellence Cluster on Integrated Production Systems.
The objective of our research is to gain academic knowledge that matters for business practice and is addressing relevant topics of society. Our work is usually empirically based and follows the rules of good scientific practice.
Our research has won several international awards, including PDMA's Co-Creation Award, a nomination to the Harvard Business Review and McKinsey's "Innovating Innovation", frequent inclusions into the AOM Best Paper Proceedings, and several RWTH Lecturer Fellowships for our PostDocs and assistant professors.
Work of the RWTH TIM Group is regularly published in renowned international journals such as the Journal of Product Innovation Management, Research Policy, the Journal of Operations Management, Academy of Management Perspectives, TFSC, MIT Sloan Management Review, California Management Review, and others. More than 300 press articles on our work and a cumulative Impact score of more than 15,000 citations for our papers (Google Scholar) are signs of the impact of our work.
Collaboration with Practice and Internally
We strive to live innovative management in our daily work - from the design of our work environment to the design of our processes. We were awarded by the FAMOS Award of the President of the RWTH Aachen in 2015 for creating an employee-focused and family-friendly work culture.
A large industrial working group and many event formats as well as our string commitment to executive training & coaching ensure an intensive transfer of our research into practice.
In teaching, we are committed to all levels of academic education:
- Our Bachelor's course "Introduction to Business Administration" was the first "flipped classroom" event at the RWTH Aachen, which was also offered to external target groups as a MOOC.
- Our offer on the M.Sc. level is completely taught in English language, based on case studies (Harvard method), and integrates interactive teaching with student presentations of current research. Our classes cover the entire field of technology and innovation management, e.g. "Managing the Innovation Process (MIP)" , "Strategic Technology Management (STM)" or "Interactive Value Creation (IVC)" .
- In the field of executive education and training, we are involved in various formats at the RWTH Business School and the RWTH International Academy, from the certificate course "Business Model Innovation" to several teaching modules in the Executive MBA and DBA.
Follow Us on Social Media