PersonProf. Dr., apl. Professor
Professor and Director of the Institute for Technology and Innovation Management
- Phone: +49 241 80 99186
- by appointment only
David Antons is a researcher, keynote speaker, and corporate advisor on innovation management, corporate strategy, and decision-making. He is Co-Director of the Institute of Technology and Innovation Management and Professor at RWTH Aachen University, Germany, one of Europe’s leading institutes of technology. He has held visiting positions at the Department for Organisational Behavior and Information Systems at Judge Business School at the University of Cambridge in England. Moreover, he visited the Department for Computing and Information Systems at the School of Engineering at the University of Melbourne in Australia.
David Antons graduated with a Ph.D. in Technology and Innovation Management from RWTH Aachen University in 2013. His habilitation (tenure in the German university system) is also from RWTH Aachen University and focused on text mining in management research. He had offerings for professorships from universities of Bochum and Mainz before joining the faculty in Aachen.
David Antons is regarded as an expert for a broad array of strategic and innovation management topics ranging from individual level decision-making biases over digitalized technology acquisition and business model innovation to the interplay of digital transformation and organizational reputation. His research has been acknowledged, for example, by a finalist nomination for the “Innovating Innovation” Award by Harvard Business Review and McKinsey for research on implementing open innovation. Moreover, he was awarded the RWTH Lecturer, a prize for distinguished researchers with extraordinary teaching activities. As part of his research program, he has collaborated with a broad number of organizations from sectors such as mechanical engineering, mobility, healthcare, finance and banking, insurance, and civil engineering.
- Antecedents and consequences of organizational reputation
- Media influence on management
- New ways of knowledge sharing and technology transfer
- Organizational climate
- Psychological factors influencing decision making
- Attitude research and implicit attitude measurement
- Learning from feedback
- Text Mining, Natural Language Processing, Topic Modeling
Awards and Scholarships
- Place2Be Post-Doc Grant from RWTH Aachen University
- Publication Prize 2015, awarded by RWTH Aachen University
- Karman-Fellowship at RWTH Aachen University
- Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service, short DAAD, 2014
- Prize for Interdisciplinary Research 2014, awarded by RWTH Aachen University
- Finalist of the M-Price for Management Innovation, awarded by Harvard Business Review and McKinsey, 2013
- Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service, short DAAD, 2013
- Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service, short DAAD, 2011
- Study Price for best Diploma thesis, awarded by SEW Eurodrive Foundation, 2010
- Nomination ‚David Kopf Preis‘, 2010
- Nomination ‚Young Researcher Award‘ WI2009
- Nomination ‚Best Paper Award‘ WI2009
- Piening, E.P., Salge, T.O., Antons, D. & Kreiner, G. (2018), Standing Together or Falling Apart? Understanding Employees’ Responses to Organizational Identity Threats. Academy of Management Review , forthcoming.
- Antons, D., Joshi, A. & Salge, T.O. (2018), Content, Contribution, and Knowledge Consumption: Uncovering Hidden Topic Structures and Rhetorical Signals in Scientific Texts. Journal of Management , forthcoming.
- Paluch, S., Antons, D., Brettel, M., Hopp, C., Salge, T. O., Piller, F., & Wentzel, D. (2019). Stage-gate and agile development in the digital age: Promises, perils, and boundary conditions. Journal of Business Research , forthcoming.
- Huetten, A. S. J., Antons, D., F. Breidbach, C., Piening, E. P., & Salge, T. O. (2019). The impact of occupational stereotypes in human-centered service systems. Journal of Service Management , 30(1), 132-155.
- Antons, D., & Breidbach, C. F. (2018). Big data, big insights? Advancing service innovation and design with machine learning. Journal of Service Research , 21(1), 17-39.
- Hopp, C., Antons, D., Kaminski, J. & Salge, T.O. (2018), Disruptive Innovation: Conceptual Foundations, Empirical Evidence, and Research Opportunities in the Digital Age, Journal of Product Innovation Management , Vol. 35(3): 446-457.
- Hopp, C., Antons, D., Kaminski, J. & Salge, T.O. (2018), The Topic Landscape of Disruption Research: A Call for Consolidation, Reconciliation, and Generalization. Journal of Product Innovation Management , Vol. 35(3): 458-487.
- Salge, T.O., Vera, A., Antons, D., & Cimiotti, J. (2017), Fighting MRSA Infections in Hospital Care: How Organizational Factors Matter, Health Services Research [VHB: A], 52(1), 959-983.
- Breidbach, C., Antons, D. & Salge, T.O. (2016), Seamless Service? On The Role and Impact of Service Orchestrators in Human-Centered Service Systems, Journal of Service Research , 19(4), 458-476.
- Antons, D., Kleer, R. & Salge, T.O. (2016), Mapping the Topic Landscape of JPIM, 1984-2013: In Search of Hidden Structures and Development Trajectories. Journal of Product Innovation Management , 33(6), 726-749.
- Antons, D. and Piller, F. (2015): Opening the Black Box of "Not-Invented-Here": Attitudes, Decision Biases, and Behavioral Consequences, Academy of Management Perspectives , Volume 29, No. 2, S. 1–25.
- Gesing, J., Antons, D., Piening, E. Rese, M. & Salge, T.O. (2015), Joining Forces or Going for it Alone? On the Interplay among External Collaboration Partner Types, Interfirm Governance Modes, and Internal R&D. Journal of Product Innovation Management , 32(3), 424-440.
- Lüttgens, D.; Antons, D.; Pollok, P.; Piller, F. (2014): Wisdom of the Crowd and Capabilities of a Few: Internal Success Factors of Crowdsourcing for Innovation, Journal of Business Economics (vormals: Zeitschrift für Betriebswirtschaft), Volume 84, Issue 3, S. 339-374.