Scientific Writing Skills
This seminar will help PhD students and advanced master students understand and effectively manage the intricate details and potential pitfalls associated with scientific writing for international top journals.
After participating in this course, students should be able to:
- Know how to write a publishable paper especially regarding title, structure, story etc.
- Understand ethical issues such as plagiarism including self-plagiarism
- Use building blocks of vocabulary, e.g. for creative sentence beginnings, conclusions, arguments etc.
- Embed qualitative data (interview quotes, observations, etc.) in the text, argue and present the results in a convincing way
- Understand the main reasons why journals reject articles
- Each participant must be able to bring a working-paper or thesis chapter, written in English, to the subject
- Each participant should have a genuine interest in pursuing an academic career
- Having an obsessive attention to detail is of strong advantage
- Contribution to in-class discussions: 10%
- Manuscript reviews (written assessment, approx. 4000 words): 40%
- In-class presentation (15 minutes): 50%