Disruptive innovations in startups - drivers and performance implications
- Lehrstuhl für Wirtschaftswissenschaften für Ingenieure und Naturwissenschaftler
- Bachelor; Master
The time in which stable markets and ecosystems could exist undisturbed is over—new ventures use their flexibility and speed to develop disruptive innovations and challenge market incumbents. What enables innovation pioneers like Tesla to develop disruptive innovations and what does this mean for the performance of their ventures?
The goal of the thesis is to analyze these core questions and thus support founders in the development of their innovative startups.
The specific thesis question can be developed together. Possible examples would be:
- What are the drivers of disruptive innovations in startups?
- What influence do the founders have on the disruptiveness of their startups?
- What are the financial and non-financial performance impacts of disruptive innovations in startups?
What's in for you?
- Access to a unique interview primary dataset of startup founders in the U.S., if needed
- Ongoing personal mentoring and coaching
- In-depth insights into research on this cutting-edge topic
- Contacts within the startup scene
Literature for initial reading:
Hopp, C., Antons, D., Kaminski, J., & Salge, T. O. (2018). The topic landscape of disruption research—A call for consolidation, reconciliation, and generalization. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 35(3), 458-487.
Kumaraswamy, A., Garud, R., & Ansari, S. (2018). Perspectives on disruptive innovations. Journal of Management Studies, 55(7), 1025-1042.
Wang, C., Qureshi, I., Guo, F., & Zhang, Q. (2022). Corporate Social Responsibility and Disruptive Innovation: The moderating effects of environmental turbulence. Journal of Business Research, 139, 1435-1450.
Keywords: Disruptive Innovationen, Disruption, Startups, Entrepreneurship