Managing the Innovation Process: Online Format
In the summer term 2019, only the MIP online course will take place, the MIP InClass will exceptionally not take place this year. In the MIP online course, there will be an additional interactive course offering (more information in the syllabus).
This lecture follows the various activities along the stages of the innovation process (Discovery, Realization, Nurture) on the level of an innovation project. It provides participants with a decision structure along these stages and gives an overview of commonly applied methods in innovation management. A special emphasis is placed on evaluation methods for different stages of idea and concept screening and selection.
The second part of the lecture introduces the participants into the challenges of organizing for innovation within an established firm and covers aspects of project management, overcoming internal inertia to change, team structures, and the role of key individuals for successful innovation.
This course will be offered online. Video lectures, lecture slides, academic papers and tasks for self-study will be made available via L2P or another suitable platform.
After participating in this course, students should be in a position to:
• Understand different process structures of an innovation project, their contingencies, and central activities along the phases of the innovation process.
• Understand and apply core methods to supporting technical problem solving in the innovation process
• Effectively communicate solutions for complex product development problems
• Critically evaluate, analyze and interpret information to make innovation management decisions, using both quantitative and qualitative approaches
• Know project focused core theories of technology and innovation management and their limitations
Note: This is a TIM Core Lecture